Hair loss at 3 1/2 months

Stacie723
on 12/17/07 6:29 am - Allen, TX
I was very paranoid about making sure to get in enough protein and vitamins when I had surgery 3 1/2 months ago..............But now my hair seems to be coming out so much in the shower.  ARRGGH.  I have read all the stuff about waiting until you stabalize at the 6 month mark, but it is really bothering me.  I certainly don't want to be slim, but BALD.   Any suggestions?
Suga'
sarard
on 12/17/07 12:16 pm - Costa Mesa, CA
Well, this is temporary. Your hair will come back. Right now when your body is rapidly trying to heal and get used to the new anatomy, it's normal for your hair to fall out. The good news is: it comes back. Keep up with your vitamins and protein. Some people like to use biotin for hair loss, I have not heard anyone really say that it helps -- really it's just time that will overcome the hair loss. My suggestions: 1. Look for a really cute short hair cut. If your hair is shorter, you may not notice the amount of hair that falls out .... 2. Hang in there -- this stage will pass ....
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Eileen C.
on 12/18/07 6:50 am - Burlington, MA
On December 17, 2007 at 2:29 PM Pacific Time, Stacie723 wrote:
I was very paranoid about making sure to get in enough protein and vitamins when I had surgery 3 1/2 months ago..............But now my hair seems to be coming out so much in the shower.  ARRGGH.  I have read all the stuff about waiting until you stabalize at the 6 month mark, but it is really bothering me.  I certainly don't want to be slim, but BALD.   Any suggestions?
I lost a ton of hair. And then had an infection in my mouth then started to have hip and joint pain.  ALL of it was a vitamin B defiency!! Ask you doc to check your levels.  Good luck!
266/174/135 -92 Banded: 2/2/06 (Ground Hog Day!)
cfbn.com (Join for Free! ohfree10) or check out jointhebandwagon.com
Karen S.
on 12/20/07 9:21 am - Hudson Falls, NY
I too am about 4 months out and am loosing hair.  I agree it is scary.  I almost hate washing my hair because I wind up with alot of hair in my hands.  However I have heard, as the nutritionist stated, that it is only temporary and that it will grow back. I went to have my hair cut, I have naturally curly hair and it was not laying right at all, the hairdresser recommended Nioxin shampoo and conditioner.  It is on the expensive side but she told me that it adds protein and opens up pores, so I bought it to try, I do seem to have a lot less hair in my hands at the end of the shampoo and conditioning...I was $40 for the shampoo and conditioner and the bottles are large.  Don't know if this helps but I thought I would share.   Karen Schworm

Most Active